Dallas Services relies on volunteers to assist the staff in providing services to the individuals we serve. We have a variety of opportunities for you to get involved and help the people we serve achieve their potential. All volunteers who will work in the classroom will be required to get a TB skin test and pass a background check.
All volunteer activities are coordinated through the Development Office. For more information, please call 214-828-9900.
Early Education Center – Dallas Day School
The Classroom Volunteer’s purpose is to increase the child’s opportunity to interact with adults in a positive manner and support an active learning environment.
As a Classroom Volunteer you might:
- Play/interact with children at an age appropriate-level
- Sing songs with children at an age appropriate-level
- Supplement basic learning during playtime (for example, when playing with blocks discuss the different colors and ask the child to find something else that same color)
Story Time Volunteer
The Story Time Volunteer’s purpose is to encourage a love of reading in children by reading aloud to children in our day schools.
As a Story Time Volunteer you will:
- Select age appropriate books to read aloud to a class
- Supplement the topic of the month by reading books that teach about that topic
- Read books to children
The Art/Science Volunteer’s purpose is to encourage creativity and assist children with arts and sciences projects at the school.
The Administrative Volunteer’s purpose is to assist the leadership team with organizational needs such as putting together enrollment packets and making copies.
The Low Vision Clinic
Saturday Clinic Volunteers
This volunteer opportunity provides a unique way for you or your group to give back to the community. Each Vision for Children – Saturday Clinic needs a volunteer group of 8 to 12 to help provide eye exams and glasses to low income children. Each Saturday Clinic serves an average of 80 children.
Working with Dallas Services’ staff and optometrists, the volunteers assists with client sign in, calling children back to see the doctor, administering the initial visual acuity test (the letter eye chart), assisting children in choosing frames and other needed tasks. Volunteers are needed from 7:15 am to 2:30 pm. Spanish speaking volunteers are a bonus.
Vision for Children – Saturday Clinic is funded entirely through donations from the community. Please consider sponsoring the Saturday Clinic that your group volunteers at.
Administration and Event Support
Work Group Volunteers
As a nonprofit agency, there is always work to be done in and around the building. There is a wide variety of tasks that need to be accomplished; task such as painting, playground maintenance, organizing, stocking the family resource room, and much more. We can work together to tailor a project for your group. These projects will be completed on evenings or weekends.
Special Event Volunteer
The Special Events Volunteer will assist the Director of Development and Special Events Committee in holding and hosting any special events. Volunteer assistance will aid the organization in keeping costs low and making the events more successful, thereby garnering more financial and public support for Dallas Services.
Potential volunteer activities:
- Work with the Director of Development to establish event-specific roles and duties
- Participate in the planning and implementation of event programming
- Encourage community participation through ticket sales, sponsorship and auction donations
- Provide at-event assistance such as table and décor set up, registration, awarding of prizes, and closing of auctions
Download the volunteer application.
To schedule a time to volunteer for one of our programs, please call 214-828-9900 or email Mary Beth O’Connor at email@example.com.